A storage unit is a great option for keeping your belongings safe and out of the way. But what can you actually store in a storage unit?
You can keep just about anything in a storage unit, as long as it’s legal and doesn’t pose a safety hazard.
What You can Store
You can store things like furniture, appliances, clothing, seasonal decorations, and more. You can even store business inventory or equipment in a storage unit. Basically, if you can fit it in the unit and it’s not perishable, you can store it.
- seasonal decorations
- holiday items
- extra dishes and cookware
- out of season clothing
- infant gear/toys
- office furniture and equipment
- promotional materials
- merchandise samples
For both home and business:
- documents and files
- sports equipment
- musical instruments
- hobbies and collections
What You Cannot Store
One thing to keep in mind is that some storage facilities have restrictions on what you can store.
- Perishable food items: Any food item that can spoil should not be stored in a storage unit. This includes items like meats, dairy products, and produce.
- Hazardous materials: Any material that is flammable, corrosive, or explosive should not be stored in a storage unit. This includes items like gasoline, paint, and fireworks.
- Valuables: Items like jewelry, art, or collectibles should not be stored in a storage unit. These items are better suited for a home safe or bank vault.
- Animals: It is not advisable to store any live animals in a storage unit, even if they are small pets like birds or reptiles.
If you’re not sure whether an item is allowed, be sure to ask the storage facility before you rent a unit.
Choose a Reputable Facility
Other than those few restrictions, you can pretty much store anything you want in a storage unit. So, if you need a place to keep your things while you’re moving, downsizing, or just decluttering your home, a storage unit is a great option.
Following these guidelines, you can rest assured that your belongings will be safe and sound in a storage unit. Just be sure to choose a reputable facility with security measures in place to protect your belongings.